17 Mar 2007

Gordo's Race Week Tips

Further Tips For Race Week

Here is what I would do if you are "serious" about your performance.

* Go to bed at the same time every day. If you don't sleep then relax -- it is because you are rested and ready to go. Even if you aren't sleeping, I think it is important to relax and visualize in bed.

* Wake up 30 min earlier each day so that on race morning you wake up easily at the desired time. If you are tired then you might have to adjust your go to bed time earlier as well.

* Stay away from large groups of freaking triathletes. You'll never see me at dinners. You might see me at a lunch. I do make an exception for the Carbo Dinner.

* Stay out of the sun.

* Visit the expo, once only for two hours max.

* Every other day should be a total avoid people day (i.e. I take Sun/Tues/Thurs "off" from people and engagements) -- I spend this reading, on-line coaching or hanging with one or two calm friends.

* Do LESS workouts than you think you need. Maintain your intensity.

* Eat the exact same diet, only less.

* No alcohol.

* I eliminate all naps -- not required and mess with my evening sleeping.

* Run through the entire race -- at least twice -- in your head.

* Lay out all gear well in advance.

* Ensure bike is 100% functional well in advance.

* Stay calm, focus on your own race. Give no energy to your competitors. Know that the only person's race that you can control is your own.

* When you see people, surround them in calm.

* When you get a little nervous remember your key sessions, know that you are ready to go.

No comments: