7 Apr 2007

Jacqui's Day at Port Mac

I finished in 2nd position in the 30-34 age group in a time of 10hrs33mins!! I was 19th female overall, including pros. I was 25 mins faster than last year, and I was absolutely stoked as it was such a tough but amazing day!! You really don’t think you’re body is going to make the distance and is truly a mind over matter situation.

I came out of the swim in 9th position in my age (60 females in 30-34 age group), moved up to around 5th-6th off the bike. I experienced very bad stomach cramping and felt sick the last 60k of the cycle. I was unable to take in any food (carbs) in the last 50-60k of the bike so was really worried how it was going to affect me for the 42k run I had ahead of me. But, I took it easy, sat up and sipped on water, hence stopped consuming carbs to get right for the run.

I managed to run into 3rd spot in the first 6k of the run then found myself in 2nd by the 11k mark (whilst in a lot of pain and very emotional). I slipped back into 3rd for the next 25k worried I wasn’t going to be able to finish but something happened and I slowly came closer to my competitor that was up in 2nd and the girls behind me were drifting back. It was up at the final turn around point, only 6-7k from the finish, I heard a spectator yell out “she’s only 40 secs in front of you...” and that was enough to make me kick! I felt like I broke out into a sprint and ran home as fast I as I possibly could finishing in 2nd place, over 3mins ahead of 3rd.

The support I had leading up to and during the race was unbelievable and so many people truly helped me get through this journey. James is the most amazing and supportive person in the whole world, especially over the past 12 months (and more!) – I owe him big time…...

Jacqui x

No comments: