21 June 2007

The Comrade!

An excerpt from John's day in South Africa:

... I could feel my pain killers wearing off, by this time I had hit the other major mother of hills - bothas hill.fields hill and cowies hill, the damage on my quads had now hit me rite between the eyes. I looked at my watch and it told the story, I only had 3 mins up my sleeve to make my 7 hrs 30 time that I was going for if I could hold 5 mins per km pace.

every step I dug deep, the pain was just not tolerable, I remembered all my mental plans that I had made before in case of times like this but for some reason throughout the race all these psychological things just came to me anyway, I thought of so many deep things in my life during this run and twice had tears, it wasn't pain it was just emotion which can happen when your in this other world...

I planned to do these things when I needed them but it happened the other way around,an ipod tune would spark off a memory and the emotion followed, but Jesus did it fire me up...

problem I had now at 10k to go was I needed another but it just wasn't happening, the pain was over riding anything I could dream up, I laughed at myself at one point coz every step I was chanting in my head "don't give up don't give up".

I had 7:30 in the palm of my hand, I also knew that usually I'm quick at the end with adrenalin etc so I always had hope.

.....

that was one special journey for me which I advise everyone to do at some time in their lives, whether it be for motivation, balance, fun or personal reasons....stepping out the comfort zone can do you wonders !!

john hill 19/6/07

now in sunny Roth Germany

legs still smashed

No comments: