13 Feb 2007

Lance on confidence

From a new book on Lance called, How Lance Does It by Brad Kearns

``I asked Lance if he utilised anything beyond hard work - such as mental training or focusing techniques - to hone his confidence. ``Nah, I'm not a real Zen-type person, at least I don't think that I am. I'm a more mechanical-type person. I like to get into the rhythm of physically training hard, seeing the courses - hands-on physical work. Once I do that, everything else comes together. If I prepare my body properly and know what to expect with the race-course - mentally, that is the best preparation for me. Superstitions, rituals, sitting in a dark room focused on every curve and every hill - I have no use for this type of preparation. For me, knowing that I've done all the work is a magical feeling. When I'm on the starting line knowing that I've worked harder than anyone else - that is a great source of strength and inspiration for me.''

No comments: