5 Apr 2006

Race Report by Chris

Swim - went well with the first 1200 or so with the current, meant it
was always going to be quick. Fought and fought as it was a real battle
out there but once I got through them all everyone started dropping
like flies and I found myself at the lead of the 2nd pack and in clear
water which was cool.

Bike - I was up and down a bit but really liked the bike course. It
was so much easier fully trained and tapered rather than when we trained
on the course. I lost my first hours nutrition early in the bike but
compensated for it by skipping into my second hours nutrtion. I realized
if I was out there any longer than 5 hours I would be in trouble but
with cookies and coke and everything else on course there was no need to
panic.

The first 50k was spot on, we were all solo and about 50m apart. Then granger and ashton caught me with a big group and the trouble began. If anyone thinks its easy riding with these top females and hangers on - it's not! They are so inconsistent and make you do all the work then have a surge to take the lead then slow down, you drop back to stay legal , someone else surges and again you drop back and arrrggghh - half the time your on your brakes and losing massive time! Also for the record - we had 2 draft buster bikes on us nearly the whole way who are tough on the age group guys (8m) but let Granger and Ashton down to 3m!. Then you try and ride your pace and move to the front and then they all tuck in and 10mins down the road they do it again! I would much much rather ride solo.

Anyway not much you can do you have to go with the flow. Hawaii is totally not like that and really is a fair ride. Info from my hrate monitor on bike leg . Avg 153 , max 172 , time in e1 -19min time in e2 - 3hrs 25 .. time in e3 - 1hr 34 (first lap only)

Run - Was a little worried because I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to
run coming in off the bike. Started slow and comfortable. Had salt in my eyes and so everything was a bit of a blur - and it was for the whole run as I couldn't get it out! I began to adjust into my pace when wham - a massive hammy cramp. I stopped and stretched it out. Shit not a good sign at only 2k in. Threw down 2 salt tablets in a row. I lasted another 1 km and wham again - same hammy. I stopped again and stretched it out. Well at this point the run could go either way. I got back running and felt comfortable and threw down another salt tablet and heaps of water and gatorade. Next km or so went well and sweet - I was under way.

Ran at comfortable pace and felt in control but a little fatigued. I kept slamming down salt (yuk that burn taste on your tongue!) Everything went smooth til the start of the hills where I got another cramp in the same hammy. Again stretched it out and it instantly eased. I jumped straight back into the battle. Kept on through the hills and realized they were all over in a few k's so nothing to panic about just cruise up and and step out on way down - praying I don't cramp.

I ended up in a battle for 2nd with a good mate Ryland Garnett. He got away from me but over the 2nd lap he began fading and I clawed him back. The last 10k we were neck a neck and I managed to surge on him through the hills and pull 30sec or so - which I held over the final 5km. There is a lot to the story but that's the short of
it.

Kick ass race - I loved it and think the move to Port is a big success.

Big shout out to EVERYONE who cheered for me and the Port locals support especially Dingo - Gina - Fee Skinner and Shannon - Tim, Margreet and Steph - Mum and Dad and of course little Zaydey who for the first time watched his Dad race and ran down the finish chute with me carrying his aussie flag.

Also big shout out to Rhys Newsome(M30-34) and Nathan Campbell (MPRO) who were offering me salt and heaps of support when I was cramping. The comraderie of ironman is amazing.

cheers chris

No comments: