11 Apr 2006

Reid's cycling tips

For anyone out there struggling with one of the three disciplines, here's a comment from Peter Reid in the April issue of Triathlete:

"When I first began my triathlon career I was a strong cyclist who couldn't swim and was, at best, average on the run. In fact, today I consider myself a cyclist first and a triathlete second.

So you can imagine how hard it was on my ego to get crushed on the bike" by Stadler in 2004

His cycling tips:
- get aero, and for him that means adapting to a less comfortable position
- use a trainer
- races are hard enough so use aid stations and special needs for bottles
- tubulars rule .. higher pressure and so less rolling resistance
- pace yourself

Reid says Stadler noticed that there appeared to be a tendency for riders to hammer the first part of the race and fade in the last 30 miles so Stadler kept a steady pace and then attacked, dropping everyone else

No comments: