8 Dec 2005

Dingo - Bike

After a slow transition (shoes weren’t allowed on bikes, unless pro) I got on to the bike, and headed out for the first of 3 x 60km loops.

Turning the first corner and feeling the wind I knew it was going to be tough. Once I neared the first turn (25k) after spinning in to the wind forever, I started looking for ‘B’ on the back of the legs of those returning from the turn. What? I am third, I can’t be third, this is ridiculous. I got a bit of adrenalin and rode hard with the wind and moved in to second spot, which I held on to for the rest of the lap. I saw Lisa was in front and possibly leading the race.

I got to the end of the lap where Wendo, Fee, Margreet and Christian were going absolutely mad. I made the turn and started the second lap, and couldn't believe that the wind had become stronger, bugger.

About half way to the turn I was caught by a couple of B's. I managed to ride with them for 10k just sitting on the back, and evaluated the situation. I watched my heart rate start to climb high, and the speed increasing to what I thought was too fast for the wind. I remember the words of Yoda (John) saying that patience is important and don't blow yourself for the run. I looked at the size of the quads on these guys and realising they were twice the size of mine, I let them go, and thought I will see you on the run.

About 90k in to the ride I really started to struggle and found myself losing focus.
I struggle through to the end of the lap, getting passed by another B and moving down to 5th. The gang were still at the turn, as I turned yelled some profanity, followed by "can you believe the wind has got stronger'. At awards night, we were informed that winds reached 60km/h during the ride.

I made it to the next aid station, and decided to get on the coke. I started sipping on the coke and after a few minutes I was 100% better. I managed to put in a strong last lap pulling back some lost time, and headed for home, thinking that it was a well controlled ride, and felt very confident heading about the run. I also knew I had about 10 minutes on John at the last turn. Just before the transition I finally caught Lisa who was third. We had a small chat and headed into transition a few seconds apart (I got line honours this time). Ride time 5hrs 24mins, 20-25 minutes slower than planned.

No comments: