8 Dec 2005

Dingo - Running Home

After a much faster transition, I was out of there. If I wanted to break 10 hours I would have to run atleast 3:35, in very hot windy conditions. I had never run faster that 3:45 in the IM marathon. I headed out with this in mind at a controlled pace, low HR and not worrying about anything.

Patience was going to be my weapon. I wanted to run fast, and sub 3:30, however, I felt that good I thought maybe even sub 3:20 was a chance. Once again near the turn I looked for the B's. They were looking good, dam, hopefully the heat will kill them in the second lap. Unlike Forster, where a lot of people ran past me like it was a 5 km race, everyone was controlled and patient. It was a different experience. The first 7km was a tail wind, followed by 11km in the head wind, and 3km tail wind to finish the first lap. I got to the turn and was running 4:30 per km. This was good.

All of us had spoken about the wind and the need to build 30s gap for every km with the wind. I had achieved this first goal. After the turn my concern had turned where were Charlotte and John. I found them and was surprised I had about 3km on John and 3.5km on Charlotte. Not bad, I knew John wasn't going to catch me at 10km like he did at Forster, although I was running scared of both of them. Everytime I saw Christian he kept yelling, 'she is coming for you, she is coming for you, she is coming for you'.

I got through the first of two run laps feeling great, running about 1hr 38m. Fee had told me that I was 5th, and I knew it was time to act. I stayed focus on the job and kept reminding myself that they will blow, they will blow, just keep this pace up. On the way out I saw the B's, and realising that 1st and 2nd were the two I let go, and both were still looking good was not something I expected to see. Third was dying but still a good 10 minutes in front. I cramped just before the turn and got onto the Cramp Stop, mate that stuff is gold. Quickly running again I saw 4th in trouble running with the second place woman, 400m in front, sweet!. I made the turn and focused on 4th. I then saw Charlotte, 500m behind, my god she is smoking. I gave her encouragement by saying if you want to beat me, she will have to catch 2nd. I then saw John and realised I had put some time into him. Maybe, maybe I can hold him off.

A short time after this I moved to 4th as he was walking. I then passed second women, and a few minutes later, I heard some fool screaming down the street behind me. It was Christian, he was overjoyed that Charlotte was now second. He told me I was next.

This gave me the encouragement I needed. I picked up the pace with about 9km to go and headed for home. I was running fast and there was carnage everywhere. Patience was working, I was moving through the field, the only problem was everyone was a C, D or E, no dam B's.

After Christian's words of advice I was menatlly prepared to be passed by Charlotte. No one had passed me during the run, and if Charlotte was to be the only that passed, I can live with that. I was to use her for the run home to get me in to third.

At 36km it happened, she came past with a little smile, and thankfully no Christian. I not exactly sure what happened then but she must if tripped on my power cord, as when she went passed, I went to pieces. I went from a fast strong run, to the Ironman shuffle. I was losing over 1.5 minutes per km in time, and slowly saw third slip away from my grasp, and my run time slowly drifting out.

I got to the next turn 3km from home and cramped again, more cramp stop and I was away. At this point 5th and 6th in my age were not to far away, a few minutes. I had to hold strong for any chance of Hawaii.

The last 3 km was tough, trying to run fast but not being able to. I used to have nightmares about this and they were coming true. I managed to get to the finish chute and checked my watch. As I said I had not started my watch until after the swim, I checked my watch and saw that it wasn't going to be a PB (9hr 50m 49s) but sub 10hrs on a very tough day, I mentally couldn't add 59 minutes to the time I saw on my watch.

I decided that there was plenty of time to enjoy the finishing line, and I did. High fiving the kids, making areoplane moves etc. About 10m short of the line I heard Fee, Margreet, Wendo and Belinda Granger call out. I turned to say hi and cramped big time. I couldn't move and had flash backs of IMNZ, where I stood for 10 minutes 200m from the line with severe cramps and watched a PB disappear.

After about 15 seconds of hobbling, I crossed the line. It was at this point I realised and couldn't believe that I had done 9hr 50m 49s (seriously). Equalled the PB, why did I waste time with those kids?. I had run 3hr 25m for the marathon, a 20 minute PB. Fourth in my age, 43rd across the line.

Unfortunately, I missed out on Hawaii, but I did have a great day, and learnt alot about patience and racing controlled.

No comments: