8 Dec 2005

Dingo - Lessons Learned

1) Always do a lot of open water swimming, especially in tough, rough conditions. I found doing the BRAT races at Malabar in horrible sea conditions helped keep me comfortable and confident in horrible conditions. Getting thrown around by the sea isn't a good thing if your not used to it. A lot of pool swimmers had serious problems in the swim at Busselton.

2) I honestly rode about 170km by myself in very windy conditions. It wasn't easy, it was hard. Spending a lot of time riding solo in windy conditions through the National Park helped. In your hits, John always says no drafting, don't sit in. There is a reason, and I was so glad that I didn't sit in on those tough days. It is mentally destroying riding that far by yourself, at least give yourself a chance by preparing for it.

3) Nutrition, I have got it right after three years. Be patient, when you get it right, it is magnificant. Make sure you carry excess for the conditions. Ie, in IMOZ this year I ran out of salt tablets which caused cramping during the final 6km in the run where I had to stop for a few minutes. This time I carried double the salt with half in the special needs in the run. It saved me, I didn't think I needed it, but I did.

4) Stick to your race plan but be flexible and adjust to the conditions. Don't worry about what has occured, ie lose 5 minutes in swim, it's gone, if you try and make it up in the first part of the ride you will lose time in the back of the ride and run.

5) Patience and control in the run. This was the first marathon where I didn't walk and ran strong on the back half. It is very very enjoyable running past people that have blown.

6) Over time, you improve, stick to your training. I am finally starting to see some fantastic results. Improvement in this type of racing doesn't happen over night, but it happens if you stick to it. Since starting with John I have taken 1 hour off my time in 3 Ironman's. I KNOW I can go faster and have set the goals to do it. Thanks John.

7) Do IMWA it is an amzing race

No comments: