19 Mar 2006

Lessons from the Games

1. Focus.

Craig Walton says it's Snowsill's determination that has enabled her to succeed.

"She's very strong minded," he said. "She's very focused and knows what she wants. She never really lets up at training - she's at a 90 per cent level at pretty much 11 months of the year. She's a pretty hard girl out there. Strong minded and very determined."

2. Don’t panic.

Go the start line knowing that you are prepared for the day ahead. Visualize your race in as great as detail as you can – include a potential non-wetsuit swim, changing a flat, resting in the penalty box,.

What sets Snowsill apart, Davoren says, is her heart and character. "She was cold-blooded today," he said. "She was ruthless. She didn't panic once they turned into a wetsuit swim. She played the race out, rode a good position. She did everything she was asked to do, and then ran like the wind."

3. Keep working,

especially through the tough spots, prepare yourself as you’ll probably have at least one, everyone does. When you feel strong AGAIN, then regain your pace.

Snowsill made a break at the five-kilometre mark of the run after being part of a 13-strong leading pack in the bike leg. "I was pretty worried in the first five kilometres because my legs, I was really cold when I got off that bike," she said. "My toes, my quads, I really felt like I couldn't get my legs going. But as soon as I warmed up and kicked into gear I felt as if I got my rhythm."

4. It’s the journey most of the time that keeps us training.

For Kahlefeldt, 26, the win was his fourth at a big race inside two months. Before that he had none, despite a dozen years dedicated to swimming, cycling and running.

5. Learn from the best.

Snowsill's first coach, Jenny Alcorn, from the Surfers Paradise Triathlon Club, noticed Loretta Harrop's influence.

"When Emma started training with Loretta, her toughness went up a notch," Alcorn said. Harrop had learnt from the best in Jackie Gallagher and Jo King and was determined to give Snowsill the same education.

"That's how you learn," Harrop said. "I learnt my work ethic off them. I learnt how to be determined and make sacrifices and everything you must put in, the hard work to achieve your dream.”

*NOTE: I'm not suggesting we all move to the Gold Coast, unless of course someone won the lottery and would like to take care of us. What I'm suggesting is ask other people what they do, how they train, how they take care of injuries and recover.

Dingo and I had an opportunity to do so with Bevan Leach in Malaysia and he couldn't have been more willing to help. I'm sure JH has chatted with almost every pro and knows who knows what she/he is talking about and who doesn't. That's how we all learn more about what we know.

People who are successful are usually happy to chat about their success, though there are some exceptions. And most pros like to train with other pros because it's how they get better. That's why you read on forums of groups of pros training together in places like the Gold Coast or San Diego or Bend, Oregon.

**From a ream of stories on the Sydney Morning Herald website

No comments: