9 Mar 2006

Perspective - Tim's Report

The end result wasn’t what I wanted. Apparently, I swam slow, I cycled slow and I ran slow. The clock is very objective that way.

I didn’t make it onto the podium, nor did I get a spot to Kona. In fact, I can’t even see my name among the finishers on the race website. And there was no official photo of me crossing the finish line.

For the record, I did finish. In fact, I finished with a smile on my face and I even ran the last 25 metres at a very respectable pace. I even gained 1 kg during the race – but don’t ask me how.

Half a day earlier, I was relaxing in T1 ahead of the start. I really was relaxed. A 7:30am race start is quite civilized. I managed to go for a short swim – to help boost my core temperature so that it wouldn’t seem so hot later in the day!! (I just made that up.)

Key to me having a competitive race was running the entire marathon. I simple wanted to have a respectable swim and a steady bike. It’s all about pacing.

To be honest, I was a bit hesitant to look at my watch when I exited the water. I was hoping to swim sub 1:10 (I did 1:15 – the seconds don’t count when you are the author). The two previous times in ironman races that I swam better than expected, I was able to tap into a wave of optimism that I surfed through the bike and run.

As I grabbed my bike I saw that perhaps all was not lost. Here the bikes were lined up by age group and there appeared to be a lot more left than missing. The downside was that there wasn’t anyone else heading out at the same time as me. I’d also had a rather lonely thrash around the bay.

I rode and rode and rode. I felt good. One guy did catch me and pulled in front and slowed. I didn’t appreciate it. So I rode around him, and then he did it again. And then we exchanged positions one more time. Perhaps I should have eased back. But when I next had a chance, I accelerated and sped off as fast as I could. He didn’t follow.

The first lap came and went and I was reasonably happy with my effort and time. Margreet was there cheering me forward. The temperature was rising but it was ok. The second lap came and went and I was eagerly awaiting the full bidon of coke I’d put in my special needs bag. I was so happy to get it.

I’d asked a pro what her plan was for the day and she said, my focus is on being focused throughout the race. Music to my ears. The toughest part of ironman for me is staying in the moment.

As I approached town at the end of the second lap, I was focused on getting my coke. And for the first half of the last bike lap, I was focused on drinking my coke. It was so good. (Just imagine how different the world would be today if the Inca had invented both coke and chocolate!)

It was during the third bike lap that I began to fade. It didn’t help that there was a lack of bidons for water on the course – I suppose I shouldn’t have been so enthusiastic in throwing my bidons to the kids at the side of the road. But I’d do the same again.

I suppose it was hotter than I realized on the bike. My feet were bothering me so much that I ended up riding about 50km with them sitting on top of my shoes. It was a lot more comfortable. (Some might say that is when I lost the plot – as I see it that’s where experience kicked in.) And then that guy who kept passing me and slowing down during the first 10km of the bike cycled past. Oh well.

When I finished the bike, I found my running shoes (my feet fit!) and had myself coated in sunscreen. I got running and felt reasonably good. The first 10km loop I completed in about 55 minutes. I was back!

I faded a few minutes in each of the next three run laps but I kept moving. (1:02, 1:08, 1:09) I was more determined than ever to run the entire marathon and I did. I stopped once for some additional sunscreen and once to get doused with ice cold water. I had seen another competitor get a jug of water poured over his head and immediately thought that it was a great idea. It was.

So many people were walking that it was a real mental battle to keep moving. Margreet kept close tabs on the others in my age group and I did manage to catch several of them. I wasn’t moving fast enough to be a threat to any of the leaders though.

I saw Tony several times during the day and he looked to be in control all the time. He ``flew’’ by me during my third lap of the run. I was happy for him.

While most spectactors (the locals that is) appeared bemused at what we were doing, they were enthusiastic. Kids leaned through the gates of their schools and cheered for every competitor. They all wanted you to slap their hands and I accommodated as many as I could muster the energy for. (I’m looking for that one kid who thought he’d be cute and actually grab my hand. If you see him, let me know.)

As I ran the last 1.1km, I was happy. My preparation for the race wasn’t as I had imagined when I signed up for. Yes, I was sore and a bit tired. I was eager to stop moving. Yet it was my decision to be here. I paid for it.

I sped up for the final 25m and had the chance to break the tape as I crossed the line. It was a very good day. Not what I wanted time-wise, but a very good day.

In his awards ceremony speech, Jason Shortis said one of the mantras that went through his mind during the race was a comment the day before from his wife: ` Be the best that you can be.’

I believe I did what I could on that day. I don’t think it was an accurate reflection of my fitness or my potential. It was what it was. I have a beautiful medal and a new favorite finisher’s shirt.

I am fit and I’m looking forward to challenging myself again in the future. At the moment, I don’t have the motivation for another ironman. Ask me next week.

What has helped put this race in perspective for me more than anything else is my Mom. She’s battling through some very difficult days and she has many more ahead of her. I thought of her a lot when I had some down moments during the race, especially during the run. There was no way I was going to stop moving.

Triathlon, especially ironman, is a demanding sport. I do thrive on the discipline and commitment required to improve. John has helped me develop as an athlete and the group has helped push me, especially on Tuesday mornings. It’s inspiring to see the athletes that I train with excel as Tony did in this race. And I’m fortunate to have Margreet put up with the early alarm bells and the 24-7 fatigue.

I would highly recommend this race to anyone. One caveat: while it wasn’t as hot as I expected, it was hot enough.

No comments: